Thursday, December 18, 2014

Gemma Meets Santa

Hi Gemmie!

I thought to myself before you were born that I would never be the mom who loves doing all of the traditional, fussy things with my children during the holidays. The outfits, the bows, the sparkles, the Santa photo.... But here we are and I'm that mom. While I sigh at myself often, I'm not ashamed of it. 

I wanted to take you to have your photo made with Santa. We got you all gussied up in your sweet Christmas dress, tights, gold shoes and satin hairbow. You're such a smiley baby that I thought, "Gemma is going to have the PERFECT outfit. The PERFECT smile. The PERFECT photo."We get to the mall, put you in your stroller and BOTH of your shoes are gone. I find one in the car but the other has vanished. Did it fall out on the way out the front door?? Your dad and I frantically look all over the car for it. Your dad a little more frantically because he sees the needle on my stress gauge begin to reach new heights. 

We can't find it. Your dad was perfectly fine letting Santa hold you with your shoes. Me? Heck. No. But what can I do? Nothing. 

We have dinner and proceed to the end of the photo line. We were one of the last ones to be let in! It's your turn. I give you to the nice man in the warm red suit and you calmly sit on his knee. You looked straight at the stuffed reindeer the photographer shook and didn't crack a smile.....until AFTER Santa starting talking to you. He was enchanted with you and knew you are and are going to be a good girl. So he gave you a candy cane. You're 6 months. But I digress.... 

We leave the mall, dad puts you in the car and what do we find in the stroller...? YOUR OTHER SHOE. Oh man, I was about to lose it but your dad told me how this is how things go. Nothing is perfect, things don't always go according to plan, and we have to roll with it. He was so gentle in telling me, "You're acting crazy but I love you and I understand you. But you're acting crazy." 

We got your photo made with Santa without shoes on and it is one of the cutest photos of you to date. I was so concerned about being perfect that I almost missed out on the special moment we had. You were smiling and laughing at Santa and his mall elves. You reached for your dad when you were tired. Then fell asleep peacefully on the way home. 

Sorry I can be controlling and overbearing. I can't promise that will change but I do promise to recognize it and do my best to correct it. I love you baby girl. 

Always,
Mama



No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Archive